When Microsoft first released Windows 10, the company made a big deal about the fact that the operating system was available as a free upgrade for a limited time.
The free upgrade period — supposedly — came to an end some time ago, but actually it is still possible to jump from Windows 7 or Windows 8 to Windows 10 for free in 2021. Here’s what you need to know about getting a free upgrade to Windows 10.
In order to get a free upgrade, you need to be running a genuine, activated copy of either Windows 7 or Windows 8.x. You can then use the following steps to earn yourself a free upgrade to Windows 10:
- Download the Windows Media Creation tool from the Microsoft website.
- Launch the tool and select the Upgrade this PC now option.
- Following the on-screen instructions to upgrade your operating system.
- Before long, you will have Windows 10 installed.
- Check the activation status of your system by opening Settings, heading to Update & Security and then looking in the Activation section.
- You should see that Windows 10 is activated but if not, you can click the Activate button to complete the process.